Thursday, March 6, 2014

Facebook Temptations

My new jacket
Have you ever been wrapped up by someone you love with a warm, cozy blanket; or someone has given you a soft, comfy robe or big, floppy sweater to envelop you with warmth?

That's what my new pink suede jacket is there - a covering of warm love. Someone dear to my heart has given me that soft, warm jacket. I wore it today and I felt covered in their love and thoughtfulness. Even though we are miles apart, I could feel that person with me the whole time I was wearing the jacket.

While I was in a Bible study today, I had lots of Facebook temptations come my way. I no longer carry a physical Bible with me because the weight of it is too much for my arms these days. Instead, I use a Bible app on my phone and use the hard copy at home for study. 

So, while I was listening to Bible study and using my phone for Bible references, I could see that I was getting lots of notifications from Facebook. Lots. 

I knew this would happen and I thought about stopping the notifications so that I wouldn't be tempted during Lent, but I chose to allow them to come through. I found it thought-provoking that the only time today I have had those notifications come through was during my one hour of Bible study. Was I tempted? Yes. I was tempted to see my cousin's pictures of her trip. I was tempted to read an email. But, I didn't. So far, I've kept my commitment and haven't given in.

I want to see where this fast from Facebook for Lent is taking me. I want to use it to concentrate more on God and less on Internet. I want to take this time to get closer to knowing who God really is. I want to know better how to feel the warmth and comfort of His loving kindness and mercy. I want to feel wrapped in His blanket of love. I want to be wrapped in Jesus and His love for me. And I want Him to know my love for Him. I want to give it all back, as best as I can.

When I have temptations, whether they are from my Facebook fast, or otherwise, I know God is there with me to pull me through.

This morning when I was getting dressed, I heard this song and thought of you. It's one of my favorite songs by one of my favorite artist's.  Click here to listen. I hope you like it.

BTW - I know I have a lot readers. Let me hear from you by commenting below. If you comment on the Facebook post, I won't see it. More later. :-)

**********

Psalm 33:18-22

New English Translation (NET)
18 Look, the Lord takes notice of his loyal followers,
those who wait for him to demonstrate his faithfulness
19 by saving their lives from death
and sustaining them during times of famine.
20 We wait for the Lord;
he is our deliverer and shield.
21 For our hearts rejoice in him,
for we trust in his holy name.
22 May we experience your faithfulness, O Lord,
for we wait for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment